I was in Davis all day, drove home in the dark and after an exceptionally enthusastic Skype call with Jeewan Thapa in Nepal it’s time to start planning dinner, at 9PM. So what’s quick, easy, and delicious? Pizza. I use pre-prepared cornmeal crusts, organic delicious corn meal crusts from a local San Francisco bakery. You can load such a crust with whatever toppings you like but I tend to go with pork. Oink oink pizza party. Moshi loves bacon sizzling on the stovetop, and I love bacon, onions, sage and oregano. Tonight we did two pizzas, one with sautéed bacon/onion/sage, and another with hot italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, garlic, thyme, and sage. Heavenly. I usually do one veg with feta, spinach, onions, tomatoes and kalamata olives freshly diced. Here’s how:
- Cook up bacon in a skillet, remove when done and add onions and cook until translucent. Add sage until mixed with bacon grease and crispy. Remove.
- Slice a tomato and dice some kalamata olives.
- Pour some olive oil on a crust, grind some pepper on top, and smooth over the crust with your hand.
- Layer sliced tomatoes on the crust and then add the bacon, onion and sage topping followed by the olives.
- Top with freshly grated mozzarella and some grated parmesan. Grind over some pepper. Set pizza aside.
- Cook diced onions, sausage and garlic in a skillet with some olive oil until sausage is browned and cooked, onions are translucent, and your dog looks pathetic on the kitchen floor under the range. Add thyme and sage and coat in the animal fat.
- Coat the second crust in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add the topping, then sprinkle remaining mozerella and parmesan, and sprinkle with pepper until it looks like pizza.
Bake both pizzas at 425F for about 15-17 minutes or until done (golden brown with a wheat crust, until cheese is amazing looking with cornmeal). Let sit for 5 minutes then slice and serve and give some topping to your patient dog. Best with a strong ale. I prefer Eye of the Hawk or Lil’ Sumpin’ Sumpin’ Ale.